POINTS: 3 per 1/4 of pan
MAKES: 4 servings
CRISPY RATING: Yummy and tastes like the "real" thing!
- 1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays)
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-style
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium eggplant(s)
- 2 large egg white(s), lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Remove skin from eggplant, trim ends, and slice into 1/2 thick slices.
2. Combine bread crumbs, parmesan chees, Italian seasoning and garlice powder.
3. Dip eggplant first into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture.
4. Bake eggplant at 350?F on a nonstick cookie sheet until lightly browned, about 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
5. Place a layer of eggplant on bottom of 8 x 8 baking dish sprayed with Pam, then add 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese.
Repeat with remainder of eggplant, tomato sauce and cheese.
6. Bake at 350?F until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more.
MY NOTES AND THOUGHTS:
1. I really like this recipe. I don't notice the difference between this and the "Classic" version which fries the eggplant
(and is 11 points for the same serving!)
2. I also frequently use more tomato sauce, but I use Mozzarella Veggie Cheese Shreds, so the points stay the same.
3. Try it with some spinach noodles.
Recipe is from Weight Watchers web site - the Recipe Renovation section.