MAKES: 4 servings
CRISPY RATING: OMG - One of the best recipes I've found
1. Melt 1 tsp butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; saute for 4 minutes. Add 1 cup wine and 3/4 cup consomme; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon, place in a bowl.
3. Increase heat to high; cook wine mixture until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Add to mushrooms in bowl; set aside.
4. Wipe pan with paper towel.
5. Sprinkle pepper over steaks.
6. Melt 1/2 tsp butter in pan over medium heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Place on a platter; keep warm.
7. Combine soy sauce and cornstarch.
8. Add 1/2 cup wine and remaining consomme to skillet; scrape skillet to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute.
9. Add mushroom mixture, cornstarch mixture, and dried thyme, bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
10. Serve sauce with steaks. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
1. This is an absolutely incredible dish. 'Course, it's hard to go wrong with filet mignon and red wine. A bit high in points, but so worth it for a special splurge.
2. I use more mushrooms than it calls for and use a mixed blend. Beware only of shiitake mushrooms - they are actually very high in calories, but the rest are low.
3. From MC - Per Serving: 413 Calories; 27g Fat (66.1% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 426mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Recipe is from RecipeZaar.