1. Rinse barley and drain. In frying pan, heat two tablespoons butter. Add hazelnuts and stir until lightly roasted. Remove from heat and set nuts aside.
2. Add remaining butter to pan, along with barley and onion. Cook until lightly browned. Stir in nuts, green onion, salt and pepper. Spoon into 1 1/2 quart casserole. (Freeze or chill at this point if desired.)
3. Heat broth to boiling and pour over barley mixture. Stir to mix. Bake at 375F for 70 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
2. The hazelnuts soften a bit as they cook so they're not too hard to eat, yet they provide a nice texture to the barley. And their flavor- Mmmmm!
3. I definitely leave out the extra salt, and you can cut back more on the butter, too.
This recipe is from CDKitchen.com.
From MC - Per Serving: 175 Calories; 8g Fat (36.4% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7mg Cholesterol; 302mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.