Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
MAKES: 8 servings
CRISPY RATING: Mmmm... Mexican night...
- 2 Lbs Boneless Pork Sirloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Cups Salsa Verde
- 1 Medium Sweet Red Pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Dried Apricots
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Dash Hot Pepper Sauce
- Reduced-fat Sour Cream, Thinly Sliced Green Onions, Cubed Avocado, Shredded Reduced-fat Cheddar Cheese and
Chopped Tomato, optional toppings
1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine everything except the tortillas and the toppings. Cover and cook on
high for 4-5 hours or until meat is very tender.
2. Shred pork with two forks. Place about 1/2 cup pork mixture down the center of each tortilla. Serve with
toppings if desired.
MY NOTES AND THOUGHTS:
1. The NI for this does NOT include the tortillas or the toppings. This is the meat only. Tortillas can vary greatly,
but you can find good ones for 1 to 2 pts. Toppings - that's the beauty, you can control how much you want and how
many points you want to spend for them. I really like these just plain or with some lettuce and tomatoes.
2. This was just the right spicy for me, and I like things on the milder side. So if you want a killer heat, you'll
want to add some more hot pepper sauce.
3. The shredding of the pork is easy - it just falls apart after cooking so long. I used two knives in a pasty-cutting fashion.
4. If you don't have a slow cooker, I'm willing to bet this would work fine in an oven bag for a couple hours, too.
This recipe is from the Light & Tasty, the February/March 2007 issue.
From MC - Per Serving: 202 Calories; 7g Fat (33.7% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary
Fiber; 73mg Cholesterol; 336mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0